Sunday, January 22, 2012

Back to the (food) drawing board.....

I had a look at the My Special K eating plan, after reading about it on Diminishing Lucy's blog. Check her her Week 1 result here. Her results are pretty impressive!

I had a look at their meal plans and it's very similar to what we eat here anyway. Most of the time. So I shouldn't find it so hard to eat like that all of the time should I? Just need to cut out the junk food. I rarely drink alcohol so that's not a factor in my 24kg of excess weight.

I've also started looking at  the 1 million kilo challenge that I found on Facebook. So I've linked up to that one too and they will be sending me meal plans starting next week.

Both these organisations are promoting healthy eating and some exercise. Which, in my opinion, is the best and most permanent way to lose weight.

So, what's my problem with them?

My problem's not with them, it's with us here in this household.

Healthy eating = wholegrain foods, chicken, red meat, salmon, tuna, fruit, yogurt, and a huge range of vegetables including sweet potato, pumpkin, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, tomato, cauliflower, broccoli.........and the list goes on.

Hubby has been put on a restricted foods list - NO wholegrains, NO red meat, NO chicken, NO salmon, NO tuna, NO spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, tomato, cauliflower, NO deli meats, NO shellfish........and the list goes on.

I am iron deficient. I NEED to eat wholegrains, red meat, chicken, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, salmon, tuna, deli meats and all the other stuff that he is not allowed to eat!

So we are back to the drawing board with meal planning. Lots of googling to find foods low in purine (high purine levels bring on gout) and high in iron (so I can be healthy too).

One can only live on fruit & yoghurt, cheese sandwiches and white fish with limited veg for so long. As enjoyable as it is, I don't think such a restrictive diet is good for long term health.

Suggestions?

Anyone?

Please!

Karen xx

No comments: